Summit County Government

Posted on: March 2, 2015

Summit Stage Receives $1.6 Million in Grants from CDOT

Photo of a bus shelter and bus, with a shopping center in the background.

The state agency will help fund new buses and improvements at the Frisco Transfer Center

Contact:
Jim Andrew, Summit Stage Director
970-668-4161, jima@co.summit.co.us

SUMMIT COUNTY – The Colorado Department of Transportation has awarded the Summit Stage $1.6 million in funding through the Colorado FASTER Transit Grants program and federal transit funds. The grants will support transit operations, the replacement of aging buses and upgrades to Summit Stage facilities, including the Frisco Transfer Center.

“We really appreciate that CDOT was able to provide us with funding assistance on this scale,” Summit County Commissioner Dan Gibbs said. “This is a tremendous help for some much-needed projects that we otherwise wouldn’t be able to take on right now.”

The FASTER funding will cover 80 percent of the project costs for four capital projects, and the Summit Stage will pay for the remaining 20 percent. Among the four projects is the replacement of two aging buses with brand new buses, at a total cost of $920,000. Summit Stage buses typically reach the end of their useful lives at 12 years or 500,000 miles. The two new buses will be delivered in 2017.

In addition to the two replacements, the Summit Stage is refurbishing five of its existing buses in 2015, with the help of $780,000 in CDOT funding that was awarded in 2014. The refurbishments will include new engines, transmissions, seats, flooring, bike racks and exterior paint.

“Right now, the average age of our buses is almost 9 years,” Summit County Transit Director Jim Andrew said. “These five refurbishments and two replacements are going to help us get our fleet get back on track in that regard. Our riders will be able to enjoy some nice new buses, and we should realize some solid maintenance savings.”

CDOT has also awarded the Summit Stage $474,000 to support the expansion of the Frisco Transfer Center – the system’s busiest hub. The project will create separation between Summit Stage services and those of airport shuttles, Greyhound buses, car rental companies and the future CDOT Bustang Interregional Express buses.

“That facility was built in the 1990s, and we’ve outgrown it,” Andrew said. “Right now, it can get pretty congested and a bit confusing to the public, so we’d like to make it easier for people to find their way to and from all the various services there.”

The project will also include new lighting, shelter upgrades and renovation of the building that houses the transit lobby, restrooms and car rental offices. The Summit Stage will work with the developer of the adjacent Base Camp/Whole Foods Market shopping center to coordinate traffic flow and pedestrian travel in the area. Construction will likely begin in mid-2016.

CDOT has committed $44,000 to help fund architectural and engineering work to expand the existing Summit Stage operating facility, which is about 20 years old.

“We have more and bigger buses than we did back then, and this expansion should serve us well for the next 20 years,” Andrew said.

The final of the four projects, for which CDOT will provide $10,600, entails design and engineering work for a possible new transfer station in the Dillon area. Such a station would have the potential to allow for shorter travel times on some bus routes.

The Summit Stage provides free public transportation to towns and resorts throughout Summit County. The service is funded by a $0.0075 sales tax approved by Summit County voters. Buses on most Summit Stage routes run every 30 minutes during the day and once every hour at night. For maps, routes and schedules, visit www.summitstage.com, or call 970-668-0999.

###

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in Summit County Government

Photo of the compost operation at the SCRAP

Summit County to Provide Tour of SCRAP

Posted on: December 2, 2016
Photo of two paintings of dog faces.

Summit County Art Forum Unveils ‘Faces’

Posted on: September 20, 2016

Summit County Opens New Teen Center

Posted on: February 17, 2016
Photo of a bus pulling away from a transit shelter.

Frisco Transit Center Open House Nov. 18

Posted on: November 10, 2015

Flood Maps Open House Aug. 10

Posted on: August 4, 2015