Model Traffic Code Tickets
Per the instructions on the back of your ticket, payment can be made to the Summit County Sheriff’s Office. You must pay within 20 days from the date you received the ticket (violation date on your ticket). If not paid within 20 days, it becomes by law a Summons and Complaint and requires an appearance in Court at the date, time and place indicated on the front of the ticket (lower left-hand corner). You can NOT change your court date with the Sheriff’s Office; you MUST contact the Summit County Combined Courts at (970) 453-2272.
Colorado State Tickets(issued by the SCSO)
The violations on these tickets fall under the Colorado Revised Statutes traffic code; they usually begin with the number 42-x-xxx. Please refer to the back of the ticket for instructions on payment. All fees are paid directly to the State Department of Revenue, NOT the Sheriff’s Office. If not paid within 20 days, it becomes by law a Summons and Complaint and requires an appearance in court at the date, time and place indicated on the front of the ticket (Lower left-hand corner).
Special Requirements for Minors(persons under 18 years of age)
- If you are required to appear in court, you MUST be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- If the driver is a minor, they MUST notify their parent or legal guardian within 72 hours of the issuance of the summons.
- The parent or guardian and the juvenile MUST sign the citation and mail in the fine within 20 days from the date of the violation or appear in court.
- The parent or guardian’s signature MUST be notarized.
- Send in the form without the necessary signatures will NOT constitute proper payment and WILL require a court appearance from the parent or guardian and the minor.
- You MUST pay within 20 days.
- You must send in the exact amount due on the ticket by sending either a check or certified funds. Please do NOT send cash. The SCSO does accept credit card payments; however, there is a minimum service fee of $3.50 or 3.5% of the transaction.
- You can also bring in your Model Traffic Code ticket payment Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm. We are located at 501 N. Park Avenue in Breckenridge, Colorado, 80424.
- If you mail in payment, please include the blue copy of the ticket with your payment so that proper processing may occur. Our mailing address is P.O. Box 210, Breckenridge, CO 80424 (only for Model Traffic Code violation payments).
- If you do not make payment within the 20-day limit, we will send your ticket to the Summit County Combined Courts and you will be required to appear in court on the date and time written on the front of your ticket.
- If you need to change your court date, you must call the Courts directly at (970) 453-2272.
Victims’ Assistance and DNA Surcharges
- Victims’ Assistance Surcharge: When you receive a County ticket, you will be assessed a surcharge for each violation on your ticket. The monies collected by the SCSO for County tickets is sent to the 5th Judicial District Victims’ Assistance Fund and used to provide services to victims of crime.
- DNA Surcharge: Colorado Senate Bill 09-241 requires law enforcement to collect monies for genetic testing. The DNA surcharge covers the expense of this testing.
- You are required to pay any and all surcharges on your ticket in addition to your fines.
Go to Sheriff's Office HOME page